T.J.Y.C
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honors Editorial - Our Right to Arms by Shannon Hess

2 posters

Go down

Honors Editorial - Our Right to Arms by Shannon Hess Empty Honors Editorial - Our Right to Arms by Shannon Hess

Post  ShaunMcC Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:52 pm

The right to bear arms is one of our most basic rights as citizens, and is necessary for the protection of our freedom. Power-hungry men (such as Hitler) have succeeded in taking over a nation by first disarming it's citizens, claiming to protect them from those who would misuse guns. Historically, schemes to confiscate firearms have been associated with some of the most tyrannical and oppressive rulers. In 1938 orders went out to Nazi security forces, stating, "...All Jews are to be disarmed. In the event of resistance they are to be shot immediately." In 1940 invading troops in Holland nailed up posters banning all firearms.

Their motives in doing so are plain. With citizens no longer possessing weapons, they are an easy prey for tyrannical government. It is often claimed that to disarm citizens is for the common good, to prevent violence and crimes involving guns. However, there is much truth in the adage, "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns."

The constitution was not ratified until the Bill of Rights was added, asserting, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed..." U.S. founders understood that in order to preserve our freedom, the people would need a means in which to defend themselves. Strong citizens are able to protect themselves from foreign and domestic threats, even their own government, if that government attempts to take away inalienable rights. This is less likely to happen though, if one is armed, because one way to prevent fighting is being prepared to fight. A nation that is defenseless is obviously an easy target for power-hungry men.

Let us not be that defenseless nation. We need to restore and uphold the Second Amendment. The disarming of a population is a path to tyranny. Anyone who attempts to take away such a basic right as that of self-defense is an enemy to freedom.

ShaunMcC
Admin

https://wcctjyc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Honors Editorial - Our Right to Arms by Shannon Hess Empty Great job!

Post  Brittani_mott Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:06 pm

This is an awesome editorial, I love how you compared the disarming of the jews and citizens of germany in WWII to disarming americans in our times. I do believe that when you disarm a public, it leaves the public vulnerable to criminals and the wrongdoings of the government. I have never looked at the right to bear arms in the light that you have shown in this paper. Very persuasive! I loved it. Wink
Brittani_mott
Brittani_mott

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum